Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Eventful Day in the ED

Welcome back fellow blog readers...


Today I had the opportunity to work in the Emergency Department with Kyleigh. I had the chance to do several IM injections (The shots that go into the muscle of your arm) and was able to discontinue an IV. Some of the techniques here are different than what I am taught in Taiwan, which will be important for me to remember how I was taught in the US when I return. I have taken more CPR classes in my life than I can count but I have never seen CPR performed on anyone until today. A lady came into the ED unresponsive and cyanotic (bluish feet, hands, and lips). Cardiac emergency protocol was iniated with oxygen, AED shocks, and CPR for 30 minutes. Unfortunately after this time, she had passed. Throughout the entire situation I admired how well the doctors and nurses worked together as a team to help this patient. Even though it was a stressful situation, all of the nurses and doctors were able to remain calm and work together. It also showed me for future nursing situations how important it is to make sure I know what to do in an emergency and to know where all of the necessary supplies are located. Our preceptors were so helpful and were able to teach us so much more than we have had exposure to in the US. I'm so thankful for having the opportunity to work with these nurses and doctors at Cheng Hsin Hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment