Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Day 12.

We have officially been in Taiwan for 12 days. The streets around our dorms are becoming more familiar as we return to places we have gone to and we go to places that friends have recommended for us to visit. Since being here I have ate a lot of gluten and dairy (both of which I don't eat a lot of back home) and I don't think my body loves me for that. So for the rest of the time I'm here I am going to try to be more cautious about that. Tonight I had an amazing beef salad with lots of veggies on top!

This morning we toured five units of the hospital that we haven't been able to see at Cheng Hsin. They were all very different from units in the states. There was one unit called the International Nursing Unit which cost 9500NT/night to stay in ($400-$500 USD) and was huge! We were able to meet with one of the cardiac doctors and play around with a tele-ECG monitoring system that patients can use while they're at home. The patients with cardiac issues are able to bring this device home and hold it with their hand to their chest when they feel palpitations, then this ECG rhythm is sent over the phone to their doctor. The doctor is able to interpret it when the rhythm arrives in their email. Its a very cool system. Heart disease is one of the major health issues in Taiwan so this system is very important for them to have established. After our tours we had another Mandarin lesson...Let's just say that this language is very hard to learn!
Our team with our Mandarin teacher, Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment